Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Space to fail.

My teacher, Younge Khachab Rinpoche, has been extremely generous with me. 

He trusts me a lot, and I work hard because of that trust. 

He told me back in 2006 to start a local Sangha in Seattle.  I wasn't ready.  Sure I knew the teachings, I knew the meditation techniques, I knew the uniqueness of the lineage and the impact these teachings have.  I knew the mechanics, but I wasn't ready to lead.  I was just settling into my own practice, how was I to lead and help others? 

In 2007 we had a small, intimate group of Dharma practitioners.  A close-knit Sangha that was committed to practice.  Rinpoche told me to start a public meditation group.  I wasn't ready.  I was more comfortable leading a group.  I was more comfortable setting a course and leading discussions, answering questions.  But I wasn't ready to put myself out there.

In 2008 we started a public meditation group at Embrace the Moon.  Kim Ivy was generous to open up her community, to provide us a space to do work that we were passionate about.  That was a tremendous learning curve for me, to have to teach a wide variety of students with a diverse range of meditation experience.  That experience is invaluable.  That experience deepened my practice because I still had a lot of work to do. 

Rinpoche, more than any other person I know, gave me the space to fail.  He pushed me, tore down my boundaries.  He never let me get comfortable.  He always exposed me, made me vulnerable.

Trusting someone enough to give them the space to fail, what more of a guide could we hope for?  

How do we be that person for those that come after us?

No comments:

Post a Comment