Friday, October 17, 2014

What's the point?

Why do you want to learn to meditate?

Peace of mind.
Contentment.
Your own spiritual practice.
Insight.
Enlightenment.
Confront your fear of death.
Clairvoyance.
Rainbow body.

The truth is, I meditate because I realize that I am my own biggest obstacle.

My own discontentment and dissatisfaction.
My own negative emotions.
My impatience.
My fear and uncertainty.
My grasping and fixation.
The contradiction between what I know is possible and what is.

I want to be generous, patient and kind.
I want to be happy and I want to benefit others.
I want to live a meaningful life, to be part of a community that is vibrant and worth being a part of.

What makes life and connections meaningful?  That they are shared.

In order to share, I need to overcome my shortcomings and downfalls.
I need to overcome my neurosis and habitual tendencies.
I need to learn to overcome obstacles and resistance.

The only way I have ever discovered to do those things is through meditation, but not just any meditation.  Your meditation should allow you to liberate yourself from that which binds you and in the space that remains to find something worth sharing. 

The great Dzogchen master Patrul Rinpoche very concisely stated:


To meditate but not to liberate, what's the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment